Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Identity: Who Are You?

Dear Bloggie,

   It’s 12:51 a.m. and I have just finished up my response to some questions my English teacher gave us as homework. I'm a procrastinator, so of course I waited until tonight to do it. The questions were:

 

What is identity? In what different ways do individuals, groups, and cultures identify themselves? Explain. What is your identity?

 

   This is how I answered:

 

   Identity is the way an individual or a group defines themselves. Some ways they do so are in the way they look, act, and speak. The choices each person makes sometimes speak louder then their appearances. Some common ways people use to define themselves are by the way they dress, what grades they have, or what their social, educational, or financial status is.

I identify myself as a brunette female with curly hair and brown eyes, which is visible from the outside. I tend to be shy around new people, but can be completely out there and crazy with my friends and close family. I have always identified more with my mother’s side of the family than my father’s because of the lack of a relationship I have with him. Still, even though my mother is both Brazilian and Portuguese, I have always seen myself as more Portuguese. My Brazilian relatives are for the most part still in Brazil, while my Portuguese relatives are the ones I see regularly for holidays, birthdays, and other celebrations.

I see myself as sarcastic, but I try never to be hurtful. My temper if neutral for the most part, but when I get upset I’m one step away from having smoke coming out of my ears. I do not identify myself as part of any particular group, but instead see myself as a mixture of many. I have a clashing personality and have a hard time making up my mind on many things. But, I am stubborn about the things I feel strongly for and can not be swayed.

 

   I wasn’t going to make a post out of this, but then I thought about something. Since recently discovery I actually have readers, I want to know more about you. So, you don’t have to, but I ask that you leave a comment on how you identify yourself. You don’t have to put ant real names into it or anything like that, I just basically state what makes you you. Hope to hear from you.

 

   ~Libby

0 comments:

Post a Comment