Thursday, June 10, 2010

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation

Dear Bloggie,
I know I said I was only going to blog on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but I knew if I didn’t blog today I wouldn’t blog about this tomorrow. So I had logged into my computer and was on Yahoo when an article caught my eye. The blurb went like this:

What to call the newest generation
After baby boomers, Generation X, and millennials, the latest group is looking for its moniker.


Since I’m only in the beginning of my teens I was interested, knowing this must be my generation. According to Wikipedia “Generation Z” are all people born between the mid/late 1990 to about now, 2010. The article was ok, but the comments were harsh. They called my generation lazy and stupid. They think we’re all knocked up teens who sit on our asses all day. Well this pissed me off. So I also commented:

"I can’t believe some of the comments on here! How “Generation Z” are lazy kids who don’t want to work and would rather watch TV and play video games than read or learn. I happen to love to read. Actually I just finished off a book right before logging online. Yes, I have a cell phone, a lap top, I watch TV, play video games and a have an iPod, but I have survived without any of those things. Just recently my cell phone got stolen so I survived perfectly fine without it and I can't find my iPod charger so I haven't listened to my iPod in forever. The only thing I might have a hard time living without is my computer, but that’s something most people have a hard time without, not only my generation. Most of the people I know (my friends and other people around my age, I’m 14) are like this too. Yes, we're pretty tech savvy and love gadgets, but we're not idiots that can not function without technology. I consider us a good balance.

The only problem we face is that our economy has been so freaking screwed up by past generations that we might all end up in debt. To get a decent job you now need to have attended college for at least four years. Well with prices around 30,000 and more a year how are we supposed to pay for it? Say all you want about my generation and how lazy we are and so on, but we weren’t the ones who damaged the plant (oil spill, global warming) and caused major problems with the economy. But still we’re going to have to suffer big time. My mom is a Generation Xer and half the time I know more about world events and the problems that are rising than she does."

The past generations have screwed us over with all the problems they caused and we’re the ones being criticized? Are you kidding me? This is bullshit! I think it’s time the Generation Xers and Yers take a long look in the mirror because they are way off base. They cause the problems then condemn us because we don’t know how to fix it? Hello who’s the adult here? 1) We’re still teens and kids; we’re not done growing up yet. And 2) Why do we have to fix your mess, why do we have to suffer? I think it’s time the older generations stop talking bad about us and actually try to fix the world so we have a better future than the one it looks we’re going to have.

All this got me thinking about this old song by The Who called My Generation. I think the song sums it up best, even though it was about the Baby Boomer generation, otherwise known as our grandparents’ generation.

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)


~ XOXO,
Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment