Monday, May 10, 2010

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

So I have decided to start giving reviews in different novels. No, I’m not doing this professionally so I won’t be giving the before the books come out (sadly). However if you ever want to buy a book and don’t know which one, my blog will give reviews of some of my favorites.

Synopsis: In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck... A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

How I Heard About It: So little over a year ago I was in the car, reading through my Entertainment Weekly magazine, as my Mom drove me to Borders. The second I read their review I knew I had to find that book. I ran to the young adult section of the store and there it was waiting for me.

First Impression: My first impression of the novel was it was going to be one of those books that can make you cry your eyes out and reflect on your life…yada, yada, yada. Let me tell you right now; I was not wrong. I did make me cry and reflect but, at the same it I wasn’t crying so much tears of sadness but tears for life in general. No matter how much you love or hate your life, things can change in a single second. You just better hope you made the best of the time you had.

Cover: I have the original hardcover version, so the cover is different. Personally I prefer the Hardcover version. It embraces more of the theme of life and love than the theme of death which I feel the Paperback cover illustrates.

Dislikes: None.

Final Thoughts: I have wholeheartedly fallen in love with this book. More than a year later I still can’t get it out of my mind. It really makes you stop and reflect on what is truly important in life. I am personally not the type of person to cry – actually I’m the first to roll my eyes when someone cries over a book or a movie, normally my Mom – but as I read the last words of this novel my eyes were tearing up. Moving and haunting, it’s pure perfection.
~XOXO,
Carrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment