Friday, August 27, 2010

Finding Neverland

Dear Bloggie,

   I said I would post at the end of the month because I wanted to make a special post for my 50th post, but I changed my mind. Well, I changed my mind about what the post will be about. Today I realized something and I knew that this is what my 50th post was suppose to be about. Not books or my summer, but that I’m growing up.

     After a hectic 8th grade year and almost 8 months is blogging, I realized that things are never going to be how they were and that’s OK. Because life is never how it used to be. Life changes everyday and we must work hard to try to stop it. We try to keep our lives simple and average, but there is not such thing as average.

    Today I was on inkpop, when I found this thread on the forums called “How would you describe your Character”. These were the questions:

a) what's one word to describe your character
b) what's one word to describe his/her best friend
c) what's the basic premise of your story?

     This is how I described Angela:

A) I would describe Angela as a contradiction and totally nuts. She views the world in a cynical and sarcastic way but at the same time she still seems to be more of a “glass half full” than a “glass half empty” type of person. She makes big decisions in the heat of the moment and only realizes later when things don’t turn out the way she want them to that maybe she should have given it more thought.

   This is how I described Lindsea:

B) Her best friend Lindsea is the exact opposite. She’s grounded and level minded. She helps to keep Angela out of serious trouble because she tends to think things through a lot more. She is also a vegetarian and an activist for animal rights. Sometimes she gets caught up in Angela’s wild side and let’s loose, but it never lasts more than a day.

And then I stopped, trying to think of a way to describe be my story. After much thought I can to this:

C) The Confessions of an Optimistic Pessimist series is about how Angela and her friends slowly but surely are faced with the fact that they are growing up and experiencing new things – like boys, new friends, and having to mature and become a bit more serious about life and what they want from it. But at the same time they try to stay who they have always been and try to keep their world as relatively sane as possible as they journey out of their small middle school and into high school.

    blog pic, peter panThat’s when I realized that Peter Pan was right. I mean, I always thought it was ridiculous to  stay 12 forever. I mean, no boys, no dating, no prom, no career, no marriage, no babies. Aren’t those the things that are supposed to make life worth living?

    But now I realize I wish I had stayed 12 forever. It’s a wonderful year where your starting to grow up so your smarter than kids younger than you,  but at the same time you have almost zero responsibilities. To be free to goof off and be yourself. To be live life as one big adventure. That is what life is about. That is something that as you get older you miss. Having a childish wonder of the world whiling still being for the most part naïve is something you lose.

    I wish I didn’t have to grow up. I wish Peter Pan came to me tonight and brought me to Neverland so I would stay a child forever. Sword fighting and princesses and fairies. They are all apart of childhood. you believe in so much when you are young. You believe in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy and even the Easter Bunny. I don’t believe in any of that anymore.

    If places like Neverland were real, or places like Narnia were real, I would escape to them. Because the real world is frightening. They want you to conform and be perfect and I don’t want to be perfect. I like being flaw and different. I even have a book idea over this call called Tainted (I don’t think I ever mentioned it before; It’s dystopia genre novel).

    But at the same time change is inevitable. Life is change. For that I guess we all just have to deal. Sometimes change brings good things, sometimes it brings bad. Either way, change is change. It doesn’t do things to piss us off, it just takes it’s natural course.

    blog pic, peter pan himself So thank you for joining me on my 50th post and the changes that have occurred since the first. If I don’t runaway to Narnia or Neverland by tomorrow, than I will post my summer book review either tomorrow or Sunday. But, looking at Peter Pan right there, wouldn’t you want to runaway to Neverland with him… ;)

~XOXO,

     Libby

 

 

 

 

(This was him back in 2004 when he was 13 or 14 and did Peter Pan; now he is  older and is how I would imagine my character Ian Sinclair – form my book Becoming – would look like)

0 comments:

Post a Comment